Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Final Project 1000 Word Artist Statement


For my final project for Art 343, I decided to take a look at a different art form that I had never tried before, called glitch art. Glitch art is also known as data bending and deals with creating something on the computer that may sound or look "normal" then using a computer program to bend the data to alter the final product. Glitch art is often unpredictable and inherently looks as if there's something wrong with the final product. Glitch art can also be done with physical objects such as circuits and this is called circuit bending, but that's a different project entirely. Much to my surprise, I really enjoyed using this style of art especially because of the way I arrived at my final product. For this project, I used the image you see in the second panel from the left. I chose this image because it is the first image that I ever designed for an album cover and I'm very proud of it, and I knew what I'd get would be creepy or wacky and I figured since the feel and colors of the original image prove to be pretty dark, I thought this would only enhance the overall aesthetics. The way I arrived at my "glitch" was done in an audio editing program called audacity. After searching the internet for a few minutes, I happened upon a haphazard tutorial that "sort of" explained how to import a photo and export it with the glitch. So I tried to follow it the best I could and my first final product wasn't exactly what I was looking for, the reason being, nothing happened. At that point I assumed I was doing something incorrectly. So I tried again using different settings and different file formats until I finally figured that I had to import a .tif file to get the proper export .raw file. When I finally got it to work, I imported the photo and the program converted it into an audio file, this is when the fun began. I started to mess with the audio and try as many effects such as "echo" and "fade in" to do as much as I could to edit the photo. I had to have tried at least every effect at least once and most times I tried them on top of each other using more than one effect at once. Until I ended up with the images you see above. I decided to choose these images out of the dozens I "glitched" because I felt as though they made the most difference to the original image and I each photo has their own unique changes. In my opinion the first image looks the most like a "glitch" because it duplicated certain aspects of the image changing the composition and changing the contrast of the colors. I'd have to say that the first image is my favorite because it made the image look a lot creepy-er. I chose the third image because it made it look like the colors are inverted. As well as duplicating some parts of the image. I believe that I arrived at this image by layering many different effects on top of each other. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to see the different effects after they were added so I was pretty much just clicking around to see the different things I could make. Next, I chose the fourth image because it reminded me of a 90's copier that didn't quite do it's job correctly. I got that vibe due to it's black and white coloring and it's weird smear marks. Finally, the last photo on the right was not one that was arrived through bending the audio, but by combining many of the different images together to see what I could get. Overall, I'm very pleased with the way it worked out, but when I do this type of art again, I will use a different image with deeper meaning in order to give my art a bit more meaning because I think glitch art would be a great way to express further commentary on our current events.

No comments:

Post a Comment