Tuesday, December 16, 2014

345 Final - Establishment



For my 345 final, I decided on a triptych that utilizes the glitch art, art form that I used in the 343 class but instead of using an image that only meant something to me, I decided to take a more political standpoint. I can easily say that this is my favorite art project that I've ever made because I feel like there's truly a strong meaning behind it and I really enjoyed creating it. I titled it establishment because I chose three topics that were built on purity, and over its lifespan, has become corrupt, similar to the way the images are depicted throughout the work. These establishments are government, religion, and academia. Government, seen in the left panel, has forever been known and infamous for corruption and scandals, from innocent killings to corporate scandals, more specifically the United States government has been known for keeping information from its citizens. Second, religion has been the cause of many deaths around the world throughout history and has always been a "touchy" subject among followers. In my piece I decided to use the Vatican because most recently, the Catholic church has been under strict scrutiny for the molestation of the younger members among other less than reputable behavior. Third, I chose academia due to it's over obsession with the bottom line, and loss of progression of the pursuit of further knowledge. I want this piece to be a commentary on the over saturation of monetary gain within an establishment that was meant to protect and serve for the greater good.
For this project I used the audio program audacity to databend the respective images. Audacity takes the raw file of the image and creates an audio wavelength. When I imported the image and received the audio file, I used the echo effect to give the audio a changed sound and exported the "image" back out as a .raw file to give me the distorted image. I then saved the audio file in order to create a sound to add to the ambiance of the triptych. From then, I imported the different images into final cut pro in order to create a DVD of the audio and the changing photos to project to the walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment