Monday, December 15, 2014

Curating - Photo of My Work, +1, Statement and Reflection

Curating was quite the experience, one I could say that I enjoyed, but also one that I didn't love so much. First, I'd like to talk about my experience curating the show with my fellow classmates. Overall, the process of curating the show seemed a bit haphazard for the most part, but in the end, I think it really turned out great. I was disappointed to see that our original idea for color fell through because I think it would have really looked amazing to see the different kind of works organized by their respective color, but as I was thinking this, I imagined having many more submissions than we did. I don't feel as though that was our fault though, but an unfortunate deadline and lack of outer participation made our jobs a bit difficult. As the process evolved it became a +1 show and allowed us to find a friend and showcase their work. I was actually quite excited for this change because it gave our show a bit of growth. Unfortunately for me, my +1 fell through and I was unable to find a replacement in time for the show. On the day of the show, I had a lot of fun seeing the different works submitted by my classmates and their +1's it was also nice to have a few of my friends come up to see the show and partake in the "grand opening". I feel like our class really came together at this point because although as I said before the process was a bit here and there at times, we were able to create something as a team.

My piece for the show is titled "dream" and was projected onto a shattered mirror. I was unable to get a photo of the piece inside of the gallery, but above is the image that was projected onto the mirror. I really enjoyed creating this piece because it allowed me to work in photoshop, and I always appreciate when I'm able to work in the adobe suite programs. Throughout the creation of the piece, I struggled a lot with composition and color the most. It took me a while to get the shattered effect to a place where I felt that it worked most effective and I struggled with giving the letters their own shatter, or share the same one. I also struggled a lot with color because I wanted it to be monochromatic (to match the show theme) but I also wanted it to have a strong contrast with the letters and the background. I finally settled on red because I wanted it to have a strong presence but also have a fierce feeling. In the end, I really enjoyed how the piece turned out and I was really excited to hear that others enjoyed it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment